Join me for some of my favourite things and places.....
.... History, crafts, scenery and heaps of other stuff .......

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Summer House


Summer House

I have just finished stitching this lovely cross stitch design by Brooke Nolan from Brooke's Books.  I've added a border and four lines of a poem which I think goes quite well with this.
I'm quite pleased with the results and will be starting the Winter House in the morning.
I just love Brooke's designs!!!!!!!!

Here is the poem I found to go with the house...........


     Our House
    It should be yours, if I could build
    The quaint old dwelling I desire,
    With books and pictures bravely filled
    And chairs beside an open fire,
    White-panelled rooms with candles lit--
    I lie awake to think of it!
     
    A dial for the sunny hours,
    A garden of old-fashioned flowers--
    Say marigolds and lavender
    And mignonette and fever-few,
    And Judas-tree and maidenhair
    And candytuft and thyme and rue--
    All these for you to wander in.
     
    A Chinese carp (called Mandarin)
    Waving a sluggish silver fin
    Deep in the moat: so tame he comes
    To lip your fingers offering crumbs.
    Tall chimneys, like long listening ears,
    White shutters, ivy green and thick,
    And walls of ruddy Tudor brick
    Grown mellow with the passing years.
     
    And windows with small leaded panes,
    Broad window-seats for when it rains;
    A big blue bowl of pot pourri
    And--yes, a Spanish chestnut tree
    To coin the autumn's minted gold.
    A summer house for drinking tea--
    All these (just think!) for you and me.
     
    A staircase of the old black wood
    Cut in the days of Robin Hood,
    And banisters worn smooth as glass
    Down which your hand will lightly pass;
    A piano with pale yellow keys
    For wistful twilight melodies,
    And dusty bottles in a bin--
    All these for you to revel in!
     
    But when? Ah well, until that time
    We'll habit in this house of rhyme.
     
    1912
    Christopher Morley

No comments:

Post a Comment